The very first triathlon event to take place in the UK was held at the Kirtons Farm Water Sports Centre back in 1983. The venue has now become the Tri2O Swim Centre, based adjacent to the Reading Lake Hotel.
The Reading Triathlon has been run and organised by the experienced events team at My Sporting Times (who also run the Tri2O Swim Centre) since its inception many years ago. Due to diversification of their business, and their close links with the Tri2O Triathlon Club (which was founded at the Swim Centre by a small group of keen triathletes), MST handed over the organisation of the event to the club. 2017 is the first year of new management! We have continued to work closely in partnership with the MST Team to ensure continuity, benefit from their expertise and experience, whilst also bringing fresh ideas to make the event the best local triathlon ever. Make sure you take a look at “Race Day Info” to see what fabulous stuff we’ll have available on the day.
The race itself takes in an open water swim in the lovely waters of the Tri2O lake, followed by a stunning cycle course around the local lanes of Burghfield, Mortimer and Grazeley, before finishing off with a run around the lakeside trail. Look out for our 110% cycle & run sections! See the “Course info” section for more detailed information including course maps.
There are two race distance options, and the sprint distance can be taken on as a relay team:
Sprint: 750m swim, 22km cycle, 5.4km run
Olympic: 1500m, 44km cycle, 10.8km run
The Reading Triathlon is a British Triathlon sanctioned event, which means that it has met required standards to give you peace of mind that:
- The event has the appropriate insurances in place.
- The organiser is taking appropriate measures to ensure your safety.
- The event is run in accordance with British Triathlon Competition Rules.
- The organiser is committed to supporting the wider development of the sport.
- If you have a problem at a permitted event, British Triathlon will endeavour to help you reach a satisfactory conclusion with the organiser.
Most importantly however, this means that you can be sure of a safe, fair and enjoyable race experience.
For further information about the process of event permitting, see the British Triathlon website here https://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/event-organisers/event-permitting
Olympic distance £70 VIP package £135
Sprint distance £65 VIP package £130
Sprint relay £25 each team member
You can make your event that bit easier and by taking advantage of our VIP package, which includes B&B for two people for the night before the event, staying onsite at the Reading Lake Hotel, just yards from Race Registration and the Start. We can offer registration the day before at the Hotel, by prior arrangement, to give you a really relaxed race morning.
HOW TO ENTER
Enter online here https://www.riderhq.com/events/70702/reading-triathlon/enter
WHAT TO EXPECT
When you enter the Reading Triathlon, you will receive an email from RiderHQ confirming your entry.
10-14 days before the race, we will email the final race day information to entrants. Much of this is already included under the section “Race day info”, but this final communication will also include confirmation of wave times.
Two to three days before the race, final start lists will be emailed to registered entrants.
As a British Triathlon permitted event, racing rules are those of British Triathlon, which can be found here:
The Terms and Conditions of entry to the race are as follows:
Reading Triathlon 2017 Terms & Conditions
- Conditions and event instructions: By entering the triathlon you agree to abide by the Conditions of Entry and any instructions given to you by the organisers. You agree that you enter this event at your own risk, and you understand that the organisers cannot be held responsible for any loss you incur, or injury you sustain in connection with the event.
- Entry Limit: Applications will be accepted up to the entry limit in the order of date received. Entries after this date will be put on a first-come/first-served waiting list.
- Entry Fee: If your entry is accepted your fee is not refundable.
- Medical Condition: All participants are strongly advised to consult their doctor prior to undertaking any exercise programme or sporting event. Any condition should be written on the back of your race number.
- Event mementos: Only finishers will receive a commemorative medal.
- For reason of safety: No entries are permissible from people on roller skates, in wheelbarrows, pushchairs, carrying objects for charity etc.
- No pets, dogs or horses: Only people with a guide dog will be permitted and if we are advised, a position at the rear of the field will be allocated.
- Mailing List: Your name will be added to our mailing list so that we can keep you informed about future events and services. This information will only be available to Tri2O Triathlon Club. If you prefer your name not to be included please tick the appropriate box on the entry form.
- Data protection: Tri2O Triathlon Club complies with the Data Protection Act 1998 and you have the right of access to your personal records.
- Use of image: By entering the event you give permission for the free use of your name, voice or picture in any broadcast, telecast, advertising promotion or other account of this event.
- Event cancellation: If the event is cancelled or delayed due to unforeseen circumstances we will endeavour to stage the event at a later date. In such circumstances, we will try to let you know in writing of the cancellation or delay. Your entire liability in respect of all costs and expenses you may incur as a result of such cancellation or delay will be the entry price you have paid to take part in the event.
- Race numbers: The swapping of race numbers is strictly prohibited, unless authorised by Tri2O Triathlon club, and an administration fee of £5 is paid. Participants must complete their details and sign the back of the race number prior to starting the event.
- Change of address: If your address details change after you submit your application you must notify Tri2O accordingly with your old and new addresses and date of birth.